Superman Fan Podcast Episode #241: Superman Family Comic Books Cover Dated May 1958: Superman’s Girl Friend Lois Lane #2 & World’s Finest Comics #94!
SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 2, May/June 1958, was published around March 13, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was drawn by Al Plastino. All three 8 page stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II and SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE ARCHIVE vol. I.
- SUPERMAN’S SECRET SWEETHEART was drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. While Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics did not list a writer, The Grand Comic Book Database listed the writer as possibly (?) Bill Finger (?).
- LOIS LANE IN HOLLYWOOD was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, and was also reprinted in LOIS LANE ANNUAL 2.
- SUPERMAN’S FORBIDDEN ROOM was pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. While Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics did not list a writer, The Grand Comic Book Database listed the writer as possibly (?) Jerry Coleman (?).
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 94, May/June 1958, was published around March 25, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
- The 12 page Superman/Batman story was THE ORIGIN OF THE SUPERMAN – BATMAN TEAM, written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This famous silver age story was reprinted in THE GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD, SECRET ORIGINS REPLICA EDITION 1, WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES vol. I, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I and DC UNIVERSE: SECRET ORIGINS.
This story differs greatly from the first Superman/Batman team up, THE MIGHTIEST TEAM ON EARTH in SUPERMAN 76, which we covered back in Episode 161. Bill Jourdain also covered this story in this episode of his GOLDEN AGE OF COMIC BOOKS PODCAST.
- Tomahawk starred in the 6 page story, THE FRONTIER CENSUS TAKER. Dave Wood might have written this story, but it was definitely drawn by Fred Ray.
- Green Arrow was featured in the 6 page story THE ROCKET RAIDERS, possibly written by Ed Harron but definitely drawn by George Papp.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the May or May/June 1958 cover date. NOTE: Beginning next month, we will begin covering the Superman Family of titles which were published the same month as the story we began our look at Superman’s silver age, ACTION COMICS 241. Since we’ve already covered the other DC titles beginning with the cover month of June 1958 in Episode 160, we will not be repeating them on future Superman Family comic book episodes. I will mention which episode the other DC titles were mentioned and provide a link both to the episode, and also the dcindexes.com page which lists that particular month of titles.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1961: SUPERMAN 145 & ACTION COMICS 276!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1958: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 29!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!