Superman Fan Podcast Episode #289 Part II: Superman Comic Book Cover Dated December 1959: World’s Finest Comics #106!
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 106, December 1959, was published around October 22, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Jack Schiff, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– The 12 page Superman/Batman story was titled THE DUPLICATE MAN, written by Bill Finger and pencilled by Dick Sprang. Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and the Grand Comic Book Database list Sheldon Moldoff as the inker, while the website comicbookdb.com credits Charles Paris as the inker. This story has been reprinted in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. III and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
– Tommy Tomorrow starred in the 6 page story titled, THE PLANETEER BODYGUARDS. Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics lists Otto Binder as the writer, while the Grand Comic Book Database and the website comicbookdb.com credit Jack Miller as the author. All three sources agree on the artist, Jim Mooney.
– Green Arrow and Speedy starred in the 6 page story, THE CRIMES OF THE PNEUMATIC MAN, written by Ed Herron and drawn by Lee Elias.
Also highlighted in this episode are the ads and other features inside this issue.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the December, or December 1959/January 1960 cover date, and were covered at the end of Episode 202, released the week of Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1962 PART I: SUPERMAN 157!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN 2013: THE YEAR IN REVIEW!
In 3 Weeks the first episode of 2014: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1962 PART II: ACTION COMICS 294!
Adam Dechanel, writer for the Superman Homepage, is the writer and co-producer of THE JUNGLE BOOK, a theatrical adaption of the classic Rudyard Kipling story, at a London Theater this holiday season. For more information, go to http://www.thejunglebook.eu/.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!